Google
 

8 Nisan 2008 Salı

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!

We live in a college town and it is a great place to be raising our family. The university makes our small town have a multicultural feel that I love. In addition, we have the museums, science and arts ususally found in larger metros.

This time of year, however, it is all about March Madness in my hometown. In my house, it is all about bonding over "our" team, the University of Kansas Jayhawks. We watch the games as a family and I suspect it will be one of the things our kids remember fondly about growing up. My son is a trivia king when it comes to his team and he can cite you chapter and verse about scores, final seconds and the players.

I never imagined that it would be this way.

happy clam's diary :: ::
You see, I'm from a family of all girls. My dad was not into sports and we never watched them on tv. The first time I really followed a team was when I was in college and attended games for the first time. After that I followed along, knowing at least something about the team each season.

I don't think I really got into it until my son was 2 years old. That winter he watched with my DH and learned all the names of the players and their numbers. He was so excited that he took shots on his little nerf hoop at half time every game. He was hooked, and seeing his happiness- I got hooked too. I've learned that there are a lot of life lessons in basketball. Winners, losers, good sports, bad calls. It is all in there. For us basketball contains some of those really good teachable moments- all wrapped up in popcorn, cheering and a mythical bird with a big yellow beak.

It's going to be an exciting night of family bonding at our house tonight. We'll be nervous, we'll be happy, we'll be holding our breath...we'll be proud of "our" team no matter what.

Do you watch sports as a family? Will you be watching the game?

Tags: basketball, parenting (all tags)

Etiketler: ,

0 Yorum:

Yorum Gönder

Kaydol: Kayıt Yorumları [Atom]

<< Ana Sayfa

eXTReMe Tracker